Found this study online. Here’s my take — I suspect most of these poisoning cases to be idiots looking for hallucinogenic cubensis shrooms. Some ate the wrong ones and got toxic shooms, others ate too many cubensis and got sick and stoned. The remainder of the poisonings are far more tragic, they are mycophagists who mis-identified a jack-o-lantern for a chantarelle or other likely mishap. If they wound up with a death cap or other amanita shroom, they can get very very sick just because of a false ID. So be careful out there.
Texas mushroom poisoning cases 2005-2006
Data was obtained via Texas Poison Control Centers and retrospectively reviewed. Case notes were reviewed individually regarding initial reporting, age, signs and symptoms, toxic effect, management, and patient outcomes.
A total of 742 exposures occurred during the study period. All exposures were acute and intentional. Of these exposures, 59 (7.9%) were admitted to the hospital, with 17 (28.8% of admissions) requiring admission to a critical care unit. Four cases required inpatient psychiatric admission. The average age of admitted exposures was 20.5 years, with a male-to-female predominance of 3.3:1. Eleven (22.9%) of the admitted exposures were identified, with Psilocybin being the most common agent (n = 10, 91%). Among the admissions, co-ingestions were identified with the mushroom ingestion in eleven patients (40.7%). The most common symptoms in admitted patients were vomiting (n = 34, 57.6%), nausea (n = 19, 32.2%), altered mental status (n = 17, 28.8%), abdominal pain (n = 13, 22%), and diarrhea (n = 10, 16.9%).
All mushroom exposures examined were acute and intentional. Major toxic reactions were uncommon, and no deaths were reported. Serious poisoning from mushroom ingestion is rare in Texas; however, there is greater need for information dissemination on morbidity.
Keywords mycetismus – mushroom – mushroom ingestion – Texas – Amanita
Article permitted to republish to huntingmorels.com License Number 2491571028672